Sunday, December 17, 2000

Re: Spirituality And Faith

Why do I continue to read the damn thing if all it's doing is depressing me about the sad state of affairs in today’s modern world?  I guess it is like the proverbial train wreck.  It is horrifying and nausea-inducing, but you just can't look away.  It’s the sheer absurdity and awful sensationalistic aspect.

The tone of this individual’s comment seemed really angry.  And that jackass jesse ventura, spewing crap about that organized religion is for cowards.  Christ.

Ahm, this was taking vitriol against religion to a far greater extent than what I intended.  Sigh.  This is not what I expected. This is not what I signed up for when I decided to extricate myself from organized religion.
***
Also, it felt as though something were missing from my life.  I must have spirituality in my life.  This is important to me.  If not any one specific organized religion, then I do still need meditation.
I like pondering the big questions, I like thinking about philosophy...  Like what the person Buddha did in his own life, hehe.

From an anthropological perspective-- religion is very important to human beings as part of their psyche, as part of the human experience.  And if someone, atheist or not, refuses to understand that, then frankly that is an unrealistic, non-understanding ahole.  So yes, I can most certainly study this as an anthropologist -- study religion as a human being.

Back in high school, I began studying the evolution of religions for fun in my spare time.  (Not as a class; there was no religion class offered at my high school.)  It was fascinating, so interesting and intriguing to me.  I was not doing this to expose the hypocrisy of religiosity or some crap.  I was studying this because I was fascinated by anthropology and psychology.  Still am.

I was fascinated by biology, by biochemistry.  I had found a textbook of psychology which I consumed.  Anthropology, environmental science, archaeology.  I studied the formation and progression of languages as they started out in the fertile crescent, beginning with Aramaic, the Phoenicians, and then Latin, with Hebrew and Arabic, then later Spanish and Italian.  I am an all-around intellectually curious person.  Why shouldn't I also study religion?  Anything less would be intellectually a hypocrite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment