Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Black People Are Good Musicians, However

....That mess about black people having the sexiest, most romantic music that always put people into an affectionate mood.  The media adamantly keeps trying to tell us that this R&B music is, like, smooth and rich and soulful and stuff.  Like that Barry White or whatever?  Ugghhh, cringe.  Excuse me for not being ((([whipped into] built up into))) a mad frenzy of desire___.  It's just not my preference.

However, remember how I always say that I don't believe absolute equality exists?  And that I don't believe in gushing endlessly about something that is plainly a falsehood?  And that this [[[simultaneously, equivalently]]] means I do believe in recognizing people for their natural strengths and talents?

I will readily admit that black people have the absolute best vocal ranges.  I am putting my personal biases aside.  Black recording artists, for the most part, wipe the floor with everyone else that struggles and scrunches to achieve a percentage of the objective talent that blacks possess.  Raw natural musical talent.  Potential.  That is something that cannot be learned.  That is something that cannot be trained.  A pupil has to already possess it, and it can then be harnessed and molded into something great. I am not allowing my personal tastes to affect something that is empirically, objectively a whole truth.

In full admission (come on, you know you were waiting for it), I do not necessarily think this is a [[[reliable, flawless]]] indicator of positive social change yet to come. Musicians are only entertainers.  This does not speak to civic leadership or improvements in education.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment